Friday, January 10, 2014

Day Three: Waking up on an island in the ocean…or…Oh say can you sea?!

Dec.16, 2013
We awakened to the roar of the waves all snuggled in our beds of our new seaside home.  The unplanned rhythm of our island stay began to interplay.  Coffee had appeared in the pot (Brad?  Ery? Josh?) and by the time I had mine (with sugar and lots of heavy cream-always)  I wandered onto the upper balcony (a pleasantly surprising morning sunny deck) to take in the view.  This morning’s view had Brad and Erynne playing in the sea with huge and chilly waves.  



Eventually Josh joined and continued in there with Brad for a couple of hours it seemed.  

Dave and I decided to take an exploratory walk, which lasted about an hour and a half and included the far corner of the island where the new mansion under construction towered already in its supercilious grandeur…set to belong to some executive …big talk among the islanders, we discovered.  






We were chatting back at home (third floor balcony …sunny and warmly protected from the chilly winds of the beach) when suddenly…a gorgeous belting female version of the Star Spangled Banner overpowered our conversation, echoing through the house and into the space around it…Ery in island yellow (playful) mode--  Everything stopped.   The last notes rang…then back to conversation as before, but lighter at heart!  No uberseriousness in this place.  No siree.  It’s Island Life for Green Flash and it’s inhabitants…so, we sing out loud if we want!  Island business as usual.

On the other hand, Dave needed space to sort…island sorting was no doubt part of Father’s plan for this vacation.  Intensive and massive sorting of huge life changes in progress, as well as playful silliness, unplugged and unfettered.  The waves, wind, and sunsets seem to absorb all of the tension here.  I’ve been sort of wandering from one place to another all day figuring out my own fit here in this new rhythm. 

Ery’s giggles and squeals drew me to the pool where she and Brad were now giving it its first use with some ‘bat the ball’ (Brad had thought ahead and called in the island pool guys to help him get it heated up for our stay…yay Brad).  So far, it seems that one can’t have quiet conversations outside, as the waves are roaring 24/7…maybe a response to the storms we came through…but so majestic that no one cares.

I decided it was time for me to go into the sea for a minute just to try it…but I got in to the ankles and panicked.  Ok…Father please heal me from the underwater shipwreck rip tide experience a few years ago.  Perhaps another part of the agenda for this island tour.  Maybe tomorrow.  All is well.  The pool is warm and lovely…I’ll go there instead for today.



I can see Elyssa’s little happy girl coming slowly out.  It is not unusual to see her and Josh doing quietly parallel playing with computers or just sitting embraced and watching the sea on the beach or the balcony.  











Eliott has found a giant tortoise that lives in our yard.  He and Sarah are collecting veggies to line up from his hole to the back door lure him out for all to see.















We grilled burgers and ate an island king’s dinner around our table.  Movie tonight was Night at the Museum.  I love this life.  I just love it.  Looking forward to “the dawn’s early light”!  LOL.









No comments:

Post a Comment